New Tastes

Thursday, February 26, 2015

The Definition of Success: Blake Mycoskie v. Anthony Franchetti


Success is something we all strive for in life. We constantly yearn for self-validation much like Blake and his personal conquest. Blake sets out to make the world a better place though his own invention (meanwhile making some cash along the way). In no way am I saying that Blake is doing this purely for his own personal monetary gain; he is getting more from this endeavor than just a boatload of money.


Blake is bringing a valuable service to the world. He is reaching out far beyond the typical businessman turned philanthropist (for personal *cough* tax reason). Blake's idea of matching his sales, ie. One for One is a very prominent theme in the book and his business. I feel that we all are called to do this in our own way. It is hard to not notice the local charities and the good that they do with small amounts of money. Blake has taken this idea to a new level and made it a cornerstone of his business.


People who buy TOMs feel good about their purchase. Under Blake's model, the consumer is responsible for putting shoes on on some child’s feet. I think this is probably the most important part of TOMs. The act of buying shoes makes the consumer feel good about what they have just done; something charitable and worthwhile. Now the real question, will they come back for another pair? The answer: ABSOLUTELY. Look at the local population, have you seen the vast shades of pinks and off-greens that roam through the hallways on a warm spring day? TOMs is a statement; I care a lot, so I buy a couple pair. A win-win. Fashionable shoes and a warm and fuzzy feeling on the inside.


Blake’s last and most apparent theme really is the driving force behind the book. The idea that anyone can make a positive difference in the world is a powerful one. Blake business couldn’t have started anymore modestly. Though the right connections and perseverance, he grew an idea into something that could actually feed his family and change the world. Blake really seized an opportunity to change the world one pair of TOMs at a time.


Blake is what I would call successful. Our definitions of success may differ, but her is without a doubt making a difference in the world. My definition of success is still seeking a definition: I’m a senior in high school. My definition of success is getting an A and kicking butt whatever sporting event comes next.





Obviously, this will change over the course of the next few years. It will shift to graduating college, landing a job, and maybe even raising a family. However, I know that if I am happy with myself I will be successful. I just hope I can give back to this community half as much as it has given me. I have really been lucky to be brought up here, and I am grateful to all those who have got me to where I am today. The next few years are going to be interesting and a lot of fun. Who knows, I may even end up selling shoes from my apartment (under my landlord’s nose).

No comments:

Post a Comment