New Tastes

Friday, April 17, 2015

A Throw Back

This was a piece of writing I did last summer. I remember writing it on my way home from Winslow after a long day moving furniture for my grandmother. Anyway, I hope that this shows how much I've grown over the past year (and I will still continue to grow!). So, here's to nostalgia.



It was a beautiful day, and my family went for an ice cream in mother’s hometown.
The smile on your face greeted me with an unmatched warmth that I’ve never experienced before. What set you apart from every other member of the service industry was you first words to me. They were far from the typical demands for patronage, but a simple “how are you today?” My reply was of the same brand of simplicity, but heartfelt nonetheless. You laughed and smiled. I laughed and smiled too. But time wasn’t on our side; business was at hand.

When you asked for my order, it was as if you waited for more than just a simple flavor. You looked longingly into my eyes, and I looked back with the same passion. When the flavor escaped from my mouth, you listened for more than just the correct cone. 

As I handed you the correct amount of paper currency, your fingers lingered upon mine. I wasn’t expecting you to do this, but I welcomed the action and reciprocated with laugh-smile combo. As you broke my ten, the change bag zipper acted as if it were cemented in its position. Eventually you wrestled it free, and out fingertips met again with the exchange of the correct change.

The minutes that ensued the transaction were filled with speculation. I wrote down my number on a napkin, but the true question remained. Was I going to give it to you? As you handed out the cones, the number rested in my pocket. I missed my chance, but you still put a smile on my face.

Isn’t that what is important?

No comments:

Post a Comment