New Tastes

Thursday, April 30, 2015

A Conversation

Instead of the usual eight minute block devoted to all things maths, I was sent to the forum for a free period. I was told that I could either stay or flex my senior privileges and leave. I decided that I would stay and do my best to fill out a few more scholarships (God knows I could use it). After about three more applications were canned, my favorite substitute walked through the double doors and greeted me with a crushing handshake and warm smile. He asked if he could sit down next to me; the seeds of a great conversation had been sown.

We stated off talking about my brother and his purchasing of a home, his girlfriend, and how he was generally doing overall. Eventually we moved on to talking about what my plans for the future are, and what employment opportunities I have in front of me. Eventually we moved to his college days of hard mental labor mixed with a steady hand of discipline; he didn't leave out any detail about how hard it was. The work he put in during his schooling was paramount; while others were out "doing what you're supposed to do in college" he was studying. By no means was he the brightest student at school, but he was the hardest working and most driven. He told me that his mother was forced to leave school and never graduated high school. She was the reason why he worked so hard. Education was his way to make something of himself.

As the conversation went on, I realized that this man had seen the world and worked in places some could only dream of. His work ethic and sheer grit allowed him to break down barriers that at one time seems miles high. Near the end of our conversation, he look over at me and said

"Kid, this world is yours-albeit very different from my time- it is yours. You are lucky to be where you are right now, and you've been blessed with a good family, athletic prowess, and most of all a good head on your shoulders. You'll go far, I'm sure of it."

These words had a profound effect on me. I realized that I really had a direction in life, and I wanted to do what I am going to do. The culmination of all the doubts, worries, wonders, and excitement had all come out during this conversation, and it felt good. My decisions and his stories seemed to line up; I learned much about the opportunities out there.

To leave you with a final thought,

"Always talk to the old people. They've already done it."

No comments:

Post a Comment