New Tastes

Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Bib

Mmmh, nothing says blog post like being asked to tie in Biblical references to modern works. Prepare yourselves. Strap in.

The bible (among other various religious texts) are often drawn from for inspiration. This could be to mankind's infatuation with the unknown, or perhaps the deeply rooted fear/wonder that stems from these texts. Lets face it, there are few things as feared as the end of the world and being cast into hell for eternity. Conversely, a life in heaven is much nicer to think about. I realize that not all people are religious, and thats fine. However, most people are familiar with (at least) the story the books posses.

So why are they so prevalent?

They strike a (E major) chord in us. For example, The Road makes many a point to the bible. For example, there are many instances of biblical references thought the work; weather it be the days in the tomb (the bunker) or the fact that the father sent his son into the world alone (final scene). The fact that McCarthy did this is the best part of the book. The biblical references help create the solidity the sense of unabashed fear. What is more mortifying? The end of the world or life after the end of the world?

The poem The Love Song of Alfred J. Prufrock by T.S. Elliot also has undertones of biblical proportions. The most prevailing notion of religion come though in the second to last stanza of the work.

I grow old ... I grow old ...
I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled.


Shall I part my hair behind?   Do I dare to eat a peach?
I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach.
I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each.


I do not think that they will sing to me.

Can you find God in this stanza? Is he hiding behind the waves or is he with the mermaids? Being a war poem, we know that the speaker more than likely wishes to be close with his spirituality, however, couldn't be farther away from the teaching of peace and neutrality. Nonetheless, one can find the highs and lows of spirituality throughout this poem.

An equally cryptic and real kick ass post (my pal A's post) explores the feeling of what it is like to have something for so long. Much like the root of this posts, I often think of how life changes. No one knows this better than the ancient Hebrews, and the first born sons that were killed during the first passover. Life changed for all the people effected after that; everything the knew (or though they knew) was reversed. Life was drastically changed out of need. A, I feel as if you're experiencing some change. Hopefully, nothing as drastic as having your first born son killed in the name of God or converting your religion, but either way change is a somewhat scary thing. You will get through it pal, you always do.


No comments:

Post a Comment