New Tastes

Tuesday, May 19, 2015

A Very Senior Prom

Must... be... productive...

Rain today. The water falling thousands of feet only to hit the glass window a few feet from me reminds me of Saturday night. Senior prom was over, and we were in my car. The night was young, but I was more than tired. We had purchased some juice from Walmart; we sipped it with engine idle, stereo loud. Punk rock had never sounded so nostalgic and crunchy. 

The time came for you to get out of the car and walk into your domain. You gathered your things and said goodbye. The night was great and fun and platonic just like I thought it was going to be. I took the wheel in my hand and shook my head to knock out the cobwebs. The shutters felt less heavy, but soft patter of rain on metal overhead was the perfect white noise. I put the car in drive.

Next came a knocking on my window. I was startled by the noise and at your presence. She must have forgot something. I rolled down my window with a friendly smile and I looked to my right to look for the potential lost object; wallet or shoe perhaps? You tapped me on my shoulder, and I turned to look at you. You kissed me. Out of the blue. Unexpected. 

My premonitions of a mostly platonic prom-evening were upstaged by a moment shared in the rain. As you took a step back you said something like "I can't believe I just did that"  but it wasn't meant to spite or inflict any kind of hurt. As you opened the door to the complex I muttered somewhat inaudibly Me neither.  It was just a strange yet very teenager-esque moment that took us both completely by surprise.

Needless to say, I had a very senior prom. The dance and all accompanying pre-rendezvous were all what they should have been. Happy moments shared with friends and family. The moments were whole and there are no fragmented questions left remaining. If I were to give this day a color, it would be 


No comments:

Post a Comment