New Tastes

Thursday, October 16, 2014

Gr(a)(e)y

I had a free period this morning, and I figured that I'd try to do a blog post. As I typed away furiously on a different post (found here) I realized what Robert was feeling on the ship. Yes, I do have my headphones in, but that's not a sign of not wanting company. As I look yonder, I see groups of friends talking and conversing about what they did yesterday, over the weekend, or about today's social issues.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not here for social justice. I'm just making an observation. It's an interesting experiment, how youths react to others who are "plugged in." They almost respect the idea of being left alone; they understand notion wanting to be lonely. Isn't that an interesting notion, wanting to be lonely.

So often do we hear about people being pushed over the edge due to this idea and to want to be solitary is such a strange notion. It's almost as if we've lost touch with human interaction. It is easy to get excited about a notification or a buzzing of a phone. When we slide our fingers across the screen we wait in anticipation for the message to become visible. Don't deny it. This idea is rooted deep within our being. We are rewarded for our interaction!

To have lots of facebook friends and a lot of followers is to be exalted. You are praised for you individuality while you are really following the norms of the culture around you. The number of likes, favorites retweets means little in the world or normalcy. Ironically, by expressing you own individuality, by shouting from the room tops that I AM AN INDIVIDUAL, you are just like everyone else.

Congrats, you are another person in grey.

No comments:

Post a Comment